When I was creating my party menu, I noticed that a lot of cheese is served at parties. So I did some experimenting with different kinds of vegan cheese and gave an opportunity for everyone to try them. I made a simple sliceable cashew cheese, a slightly spicy pepper jack cheese and a Notso Queso Chipotle Dip.
For the Sliceable Vegan Cashew Cheese I used this recipe from a beautiful website called Jennifer’s Kitchen, you should really check out her recipes there is a great variety of healthy and yummy foods. She also posts a lot of Gluten Free recipes for those of you who need it.
I slightly modified the Pepper Jack cheese from the Vegan Richa website. It is a little different than many recipes I have tried in the past in that it has a few different starches in it. I think the different starches help it to melt nicely but I think it was a little grainy.
This is my version of the Vegan Richa’s Pepper Jack Cheese next week I will share my Notso Queso Chipotle Cheese Sauce.
Pepper Jack Cheese
Adapted from www.veganricha.com
- 1 ½ cups plain non-dairy milk
- 2 ½ teaspoon agar powder 2 ½ tablespoons of agar flakes
- 1 ½ tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 ½ tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1 ½ tablespoon chickpea flour
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Line a bowl or mold with plastic wrap.
- In a blender add ½ cup non-dairy milk with the starches, chickpea flour, coconut oil, vinegar, lemon juice, onion powder, garlic powder and salt. Blend until smooth.
- In a pan, add 1 cup of non-dairy milk and agar powder. Bring to a boil and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the boiling mixture to the blender with the milk and starches and blend briefly.
- Add jalapeno and pepper flakes and pulse to chop.
- Pour into prepared mold and place in the refrigerator for several hours.