Spring has finally arrived! Asparagus is growing and the gardens are finally getting started. I am so happy to see everything turning green.
So for supper today I am making the Pasta with Spring Vegetables from Give Them Something Better. It is not your typical pasta with marinara or a white cheesy sauce. This pasta is topped with a light garlicky sauce and tastes great with all those veggies and pasta.
Pasta with Spring Vegetables
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, green beans, or broccoli, cut into 1-inch pieces, or 1 cup leafy greens
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 package (14 ounce) added fiber angel hair pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced or grape tomatoes
- 6 to 10 leaves fresh basil leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- dash cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium. Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrots; cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Add asparagus, zucchini, and salt to skillet; cook until vegetables are just softened, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk broth and cornstarch together in a small bowl.
- Add broth and remaining ingredients to skillet; bring to a boil over high heat and cook until slightly thickened.
Makes 8 servings