I love a good sandwich; so when I saw this Garbanzo Sandwich Spread on the Minimalist baker blog I had to give it a try! I made a few adjustments to suit my own tastes and I really like it. I hope you like it too!
On a side note I am really loving that blog! I have tried several recipes and they have all came out great. And the pictures are AMAZING!
Garbanzo Sandwich Spread
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayo
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ½ tablespoon dried dill weed
- ½ teaspoon sweetener of choice (optional)
- salt to taste
- Optional toppings: sliced avocado, onion, tomato, and/or lettuce for serving.
Garlic Herb Sauce
- ¼ cup plain hummus
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon dried dill weed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Water to thin (If sauce is too thick)
- Salt to taste
- Prepare garlic herb sauce by mixing all the ingredients and set aside.
- Add garbanzos to a food processor and process until broken up. (it works great if they are different textures; some more whole, and some more mashed up.)
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- To build a sandwich by spread a little sauce on a slice of whole grain bread, then top with some of the garbanzo spread. Add avocado, onion, tomato and lettuce as desired.
Slightly Adapted from this recipe http://minimalistbaker.com/chickpea-sunflower-sandwich/