I think oatmeal is the most versatile vegan food ever. Look at these lovely little breakfast sausages! So tasty too! A good friend of mine, Mary Bernt from Veggies Restaurant created these and let me include them in Something Better to share with all of you. The flavor of these little oatmeal sausages is phenomenal as Mary would say! So for Meatless Monday this week, we are going to have “vegan Sausage” for breakfast.
Vegan Breakfast Sausage
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup Bragg’s Liquid Aminos or low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients, except oats, in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove from heat; add oats and stir well. Allow mixture to sit 5 minutes.
- Scoop mixture into 2-inch round balls; place on prepared baking sheet and flatten gently with hands. Bake 15 minutes; flip sausages and bake an additional 10 minutes.
Makes 10 servings.
TIP: Vary amount of the cayenne pepper to change the spiciness.